(Image obtained from here)
The Global Institute of Intellectual Property (GIIP: an institute that offers IP related courses adhering to international standards) is soon going to offer what promises to be a very useful full-time Executive Post-Graduate Program in Patent Protection, Enforcement and Management.
AIM: The program intends to provide professional skills in the field of patents, with a curriculum designed to train and translate knowledge gained into practical application, so that a person, following successful completion of the program, becomes equipped with the skill-set necessary to be an asset to the in-house IP team of a body corporate and engage in matters relating to patents.
PERIOD, VENUE and SCHEDULE: The duration of the program will be 8 weeks (full-time), ranging from February 7, 2011 to April 4, 2011. Classes will be held from Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Bangalore at Site No. 6, TMR Towers, Level 3, Thubarahalli (500 m. from Kundanhalli Gate on Varthur Road), Bangalore -566006.
ELIGIBILITY: Following people can participate in the program:
- Graduates (science, engineering and any other technical degree) having a minimum work experience of 1 year.
- Post-graduates (science, engineering and any other technical degree).
- Legal professionals (LL.B. & LL.M.) with technical background.
GIIP welcomes Corporate participation and/or Employee Nominations.
NOVELTY: Among other things, the 240 hours long program curriculum covers as many as 3 jurisdictions viz. India, EU and USA, focusing on technical, legal and commercialization aspects of patents. The participants will also receive one-on-one tutorials and mentored guidance from experts in the subjects, and interactive teaching sessions comprising illustrative case-study methods and special sessions relating to personality development, writing and presentation skills. They will be assessed on multiple fronts, including classroom assignments, group discussions and final examination.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCESS: Application forms for the Program can be obtained from here and filled-up forms should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The selection is based on merit, personal interview and written examination (optional).
For Corporate Nominations, one can contact email@example.com.
PROGRAM CONTENT: Following are the modules offered in course of the Program:-
- Introduction to IP – History, Concepts and Types;
- International Treaties and Conventions for Protection of IP;
- Trademarks- Act and Filing Procedure
- Copyright - Act and Filing Procedure
- Trade Secrets
- Patent: Statutes/Acts (India, US & Europe)
B. Patent Protection:
- Filing Procedure in US, Europe and India
- International Patent filing system(PCT)
- Patentability Analysis
- Prior Art Searches
- - Freedom to Operate study
- - Exposure to paid databases such as QPAT, Thomson Innovation, STN, Patent Insight pro etc.
- Patent Landscape and Analysis
- Drafting of patent Application
- - Claims Drafting
- - Specification drafting
- Patent Prosecution Procedure and strategies- Responses to office actions
C. Patent Enforcement:
- Patent Enforcement rights in various Jurisdiction
- Enforcement Readiness(validity)
- Working and maintenance of patents
- - Revocation of patents
- - Restoration of patents
- - Compulsory Licensing
- Reissue and Re-examination of patents
- Pre and Post Grant Opposition
- Pre litigation strategies Patent Litigation
- - Infringement
- - Claims construction
- - Doctrine of equivalence
- - File wrapper
- - Damage Calculations
- Post Litigation(Appeal process)
D. Patent Management:
- Strategies during patent prosecution
- IP Valuation techniques
- IP Portfolio Audit and Management
- Commercialization of Patents
- - Contractual Licensing
- Role of Patents in identifying business opportunities
- The program follows case study based method of teaching and will involve extensive hands-on exercises, critiquing and feedback sessions by program mentors. Focus will be on Software, Electronics, Mechanical, Chemical and Drugs related patents.
- The last 2 weeks of the program are dedicated for subject specialization, mentoring and examinations.
- Education Loans for the Program can be availed from leading banks and financial institutions.
GIIP's curriculum is enriched through affiliation & partnership with reputed institutions and individuals such as:
- Silicon Valley Seminars Inc. (http://www.patentseminars.com/),USA
- University of Washington, CASRIP (http://www.law.washington.edu/casrip/), USA
- William Mitchell College of Law (http://www.wmitchell.edu/), USA
- Recognized and practicing IP Attorneys, Practitioners and Experts from US, Europe and India