The National Biodiversity Authority (NBA) has invited applications for two legal positions. The advertisements for both posts can be accessed over here on the website of the NBA.
The first post is that of a general legal advisor and the job description is as follows:
The NBA proposes to engage the services of a Lawyer on a monthly payment of fees (on retainer basis) to assist them in policy making and advice on legal aspects related to the implementation of the various provisions of the Biological Diversity Act, 2002 and more specifically described in the Scope of Work. (Closing date: 28th May, 2012)
The second post is under a joint project with UNEP-GEF project which aims to strengthen the implementation of the Biological Diversity Act and Rules with focus on its Access and Benefit Sharing provisions in 5 different states. (Closing date: 21st May, 2012) The scope of the work is described as follows in the advertisement:
- · Provide support to the project in terms of compliances with applicable legal instruments.
- · Analyze the existing PIC, MAT, MTA and benefit sharing mechanism in use and develop guidelines, tools and methods for its easy implementation by NBA, SBBs and BMCs.
- · Analyze the existing roles and responsibilities of NBA, SBBs, and BMCs for effective implementation of ABS provisions.
- · Facilitate for entering into ABS agreements with the companies identified in the project States
- · Develop best practice guidelines on ABS
- · Identify monetary and non-monetary benefit sharing for short and long term benefits for inclusion in the agreement.
- · Develop agreements at national and state level using the economic valuation criteria developed by the project.
- · Develop monitoring mechanisms for over viewing implementation of the ABS agreements
- Analyze the existing enforcement mechanism and strengthen the implementation of ABS provisions.